Monday, February 13, 2012

Let the Web Help You Review!



I like to have students do activities and assignments that give them as many chances as possible to internalize the vocabulary they are learning. They have done Power Point presentations,  written stories, and developed characters all based on their understanding of the words. I would send my students to this website, so that they could demonstrate their knowledge by making a crossword puzzle.


The clues the students would write would reflect how well they understand the words and how well they can communicate that understanding to an audience (in this case, a fellow class member). I would collect the finished puzzles and distribute them to their classmates to solve.


I would also send my students to this website so that they can play a game that tests their recognition of suffixes and their meanings.  I would have them keep track of the ones they got incorrect, and bring them to class. I would be curious to see if there were common suffixes that the students got wrong, so that we could work more intensely with those during class. 
I would apply the suffixes to several words we have learned so that students could then apply the meanings of the suffixes to the vocabulary they have learned.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Constance, I use this crossword puzzle maker site as well. I'll have the kids make there own puzzles, often instructing them that their answers can't be any of the actual vocabulary words, so they have to get creative with the clues and answers and use synonyms and antonyms and stuff. This makes them think about and learn the words better. I have them trade with a classmate, and I roam the room assessing what they created. It's a fun ay to learn and practice the words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this website! I shared it with my English Department and we added it to our list of resources. Vocabulary is important, and this website would be especially useful for the upperclassmen preparing for the PSATs and SATs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete